June 24, 2008

Finish what you start.

The other day, I was talking with a friend about knitting when she asked me why I've never worn anything that I've made if I love to knit so much. Hmmm.

Well, there's a pretty good reason for this actually. I've never finished anything that I've started knitting or crocheting, except for scarves and dishcloths, and I'm not a big scarf wearing person ...... I'm lucky enough to remember a coat if it's cold outside.


My first knitted scarf.


My first crocheted scarf.


I have started quite a few sweater projects, only to lose interest or to get way over my head in technicalities. I bought VERY expensive yarn on our Outer Banks trip last summer...... I actually did finish the front piece, but I stopped because I became nervous that, "That thing will NEVER fit around me!" Alas, all that beautiful yarn is sitting in a bag upstairs.....waiting in my yarn stash.




My lovely yarn stash.... made into something pretty!

Also, I'm a very up-tight knitter. While knitting, I'll catch my shoulders creeping up to my ears, and I'll notice that I'm holding my breath. Maybe this is why my knitting is so tight. I think knitting should be a calming, soothing, relaxing past time, but ..... I'm just too afraid I'll drop a stitch or something, and then where would I be?


Crocheting is a little better however, and I recently bought a pattern for a pretty shapely short sleeved sweater. So I'm going to give this crocheting/knitting thing one more try. I'll keep you posted on how it goes..... if it goes at all!

3 comments:

Jessa said...

you make a beautiful butterfly!

Rebecca Lily said...

I love the crocheted scarf!!!

Good luck with taking this back up. I used to knit... a WAY long time ago and I've completely forgotten how. You've inspired me to try again!!! Would be a great thing to help pass the 24 hour plane ride to China. :)

Rebecca

Jeremy W. Kerr said...

So here's another thing we have in common. Not only do I knit and crotchet, but I rarely finish my projects. I have half a sock I was knitting on circular #1s. I'm a dishcloth king, however, when it comes to crocheting. Sometimes I'll do a whole one, then pull it all out and redo it just because I've got the time :) Ridiculous, I know.